Do you have a healthy recipe you would like to share with County employees? Head over to our ‘Got Ideas?‘ page and send it our way! You might just get featured in an upcoming month.
Healthy for Life! – Ready, Set, Go!
You want to lose weight, so let’s get going. Healthy for Life! is designed to jump-start your journey to a healthier you. How much you lose is ultimately your call – the more closely you follow the plan, the more you’ll likely loose.
Before you dive in, take a moment to determine if now is a good time to make big changes to your daily routine. Take the quiz and answer the questions honestly. If your results indicate that this isn’t a good time to try to lose weight, address those factors interfering with your plans.
Healthy for Life! Readiness Quiz
If most of your responses are:
- 1 and 2, then you’re probably ready to start the Healthy for Life! program.
- 2 and 3, consider whether you’re ready or if you should wait and take action to prepare yourself.
- 4, you may want to hold off on this journey. Consider contacting the Fitness and Wellness Division to discuss what you can do to increase your readiness.
To register for the Health Trip Healthy for Life! program, contact Liz Stovall at email@example.com or at 501-7556.
Next steps include:
- Preparing yourself, your kitchen and your workout gear to increase your chances of success.
- Setting up a tracking system and getting mentally prepared.
- Finding your inner motivation and selecting your start date.
Employee Health Services (EHS) offers individualized counseling regarding your nutritional journey.
This includes information on diabetes, high blood pressure, lowering cholesterol and weight loss management.
Fitness & Wellness encourages employees to set up a 30-minute consultation with a staff fitness trainer for help with designing a nutrition and fitness plan for overall good health.
December 2019- Butternut Squash Carbonara with Broccoli
296 cals | Per 1 1/4 cup serving
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- 1 (3 pound) butternut squash, peeled
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
Prep 35 mins | Ready In 35 min
November 2019- Spinach and Feta Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
203 cals | Per serving
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-in.-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 (5-oz.) bag fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
Prep 25 mins | Cook 45 hour | Ready In 1 hr 10 min
Per Serving (2 wedges):Calories 203, Fat 8.7 g, Satfat 3.5 g, Monofat 3.2 g, Polyfat 1.4 g, Protein 13 g, Carbohydrate 18 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 6 g, Est. added sugars 0 g, Cholesterol 197 mg, Iron 3 mg, Sodium 393 mg, Calcium 177 mg
Henrico County’s on-site cafeteria at the Western Government Center offers a variety of nutritious and health conscious options for employees at breakfast and lunch times. From a full, build-your-own, salad bar, grilled chicken and turkey burger options, along with steamed vegetables and low-fat yogurt, breakfast and lunch does not have to throw off your day.
Breakfast: 7:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
*Self-serve areas only open from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.