Do you have a healthy recipe you would like to share with County employees? Head over to our ‘Got Ideas?‘ page and send it our way! You might just get featured in an upcoming month.
Healthy for Life! – Ready, Set, Go!
You want to lose weight, so let’s get going. Healthy for Life! is designed to jump-start your journey to a healthier you. How much you lose is ultimately your call – the more closely you follow the plan, the more you’ll likely loose.
Before you dive in, take a moment to determine if now is a good time to make big changes to your daily routine. Take the quiz and answer the questions honestly. If your results indicate that this isn’t a good time to try to lose weight, address those factors interfering with your plans.
Healthy for Life! Readiness Quiz
If most of your responses are:
- 1 and 2, then you’re probably ready to start the Healthy for Life! program.
- 2 and 3, consider whether you’re ready or if you should wait and take action to prepare yourself.
- 4, you may want to hold off on this journey. Consider contacting the Fitness and Wellness Division to discuss what you can do to increase your readiness.
To register for the Health Trip Healthy for Life! program, contact Liz Stovall at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 501-7556.
Next steps include:
- Preparing yourself, your kitchen and your workout gear to increase your chances of success.
- Setting up a tracking system and getting mentally prepared.
- Finding your inner motivation and selecting your start date.
Employee Health Services (EHS) offers individualized counseling regarding your nutritional journey.
This includes information on diabetes, high blood pressure, lowering cholesterol and weight loss management.
Fitness & Wellness encourages employees to set up a 30-minute consultation with a staff fitness trainer for help with designing a nutrition and fitness plan for overall good health.
Fresh Broccoli Salad
216 cals | Per serving
Prep 15 mins | Cook 15 mins | Ready In 30 mins
- Place bacon in a deep skillet and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Cool and crumble.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and cut the onion into thin bite-size slices. Combine with the bacon, raisins, your favorite nuts and mix well.
- To prepare the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar together until smooth. Stir into the salad, let chill and serve.
Per Serving: 374 calories; 27.2 g total fat; 18 mg cholesterol; 353 mg sodium. 28.5 g carbohydrates; 7.3 g protein
Henrico County’s on-site cafeteria at the Western Government Center offers a variety of nutritious and health conscious options for employees at breakfast and lunch times. From a full, build-your-own, salad bar, grilled chicken and turkey burger options, along with steamed vegetables and low-fat yogurt, breakfast and lunch does not have to throw off your day.
Breakfast: 7:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
*Self-serve areas only open from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.