Do you have a healthy recipe you would like to share with County employees? Head over to our ‘Got Ideas?‘ page and send it our way! You might just get featured in an upcoming month.
Benefits has nutritional counseling available through the preventive care benefit. All preventive services are included at no charge! Employees enrolled can see a Registered Dietetic (RD) in their primary care physicians office, or, Anthem contracts with independent RD’s in the area that can be found using the ‘Find a Doctor’ feature on the Anthem website.
Employee Health Services (EHS) offers individualized counseling regarding your nutritional journey. This includes information on diabetes, high blood pressure, lowering cholesterol and weight loss management.
Fitness & Wellness encourages employees to set up a 30-minute consultation with a staff fitness trainer for help with designing a nutrition and fitness plan for overall good health.
Greek Kale Salad with Quinoa & Chicken (Recipe from EatingWell- 10 Weight-Loss Tips That Actually Work, According to Science)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- ¼ cup Greek salad dressing (see Tip)
- Crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Preparation (10 minutes)
Ready in (10 minutes)
- Place kale, chicken, quinoa and roasted peppers in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Top with feta, if desired.
- Tip: Look for a store-bought salad dressing that’s low in sodium and added sugar.
Serving size: 2¾ cups
Per serving: 301 calories; 8 g fat(2 g sat); 4 g fiber; 27 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 84 mcg folate; 42 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 3,657 IU vitamin A; 40 mg vitamin C; 91 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 378 mg sodium; 316 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (73% daily value), Vitamin C (67% dv), Folate (21% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 3 lean protein, 1½ vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat
Henrico County’s on-site cafeteria at the Western Government Center offers a variety of nutritious and health conscious options for employees at breakfast and lunch times. From a full, build-your-own, salad bar, grilled chicken and turkey burger options, along with steamed vegetables and low-fat yogurt, breakfast and lunch does not have to throw off your day.
Breakfast: 7:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
*Self-serve areas only open from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.